How Homeopathy and PSYCH-K® can help children and young people with their mental health.
The World Health Organisation defines mental health as;
“a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.”
Personal and self-development is a process and also involves a spiritual aspect where we get to know ourselves at a deeper level. As we grow, so too does our understanding of our self and of self in relation to others and the wider world. Our connections not only broaden but also deepen, and we get ‘aha’ moments when life ‘makes sense’ intuitively.
There are lots of ways to support the development of children, from physical factors such as eating habits, exercise and sleep through to mental and emotional support; eg understanding emotional cues, communication strategies and positive thinking habits.
Despite the potential support, there are still many external and internal factors which can prevent the flow of personal growth and in our busier, often information-overloaded lives, it can be a struggle to maintain a seemingly ever-more-complex and flexible approach while staying ‘true to ourselves’.
Homeopathy is a therapy which can support individuals of all ages on their personal journey and naturally takes into account the internal perspective and external triggers.
Here are 10 reasons why homeopathy can help:
1. The consultation process. Homeopathy offers a unique therapeutic relationship between homeopath and client, in this case, the child or young person. The homeopath’s aim is to fully understand the child/ young person– how they see the world, how they understand and how they react, interact and respond. There is no judgement or criticism. It is understood that we are all unique and all respond to different stimulus and experiences in different ways.
When there is an in-balance in one aspect of health, we can have physical, mental and emotional symptoms. All these symptoms are understood together during the homeopathic consultation in as much detail as possible, the what, why, where and when, what makes them better or worse. The homeopath then studies the symptom picture as a whole, and matches the person’s characteristics to the characteristics of a remedy. The physical symptoms are not separated from mental and emotional symptoms or divided into compartments. All the symptoms reflect the whole person as a complete being.
2. The remedy. All substances/natural remedies resonate at a unique vibrational level and can impact our own resonance – what can trigger an in-balance can be used to stimulate the body to re-balance, physically, mentally and emotionally as a whole. It is the body itself which re-establishes equilibrium.
3. The lifestyle factors. The homeopath will consider all areas of health including diet, sleep, exercise, social interactions, thought patterns, and general stressors and experiences. All these factors and the child’s/ young person’s emotional reactions are helpful to build a whole picture.
4. The genes. The homeopath also considers any genetic influences including family history of illnesses to include any potential predispositions to certain areas of ill health.
5. Personal health patterns. The child’s/ young person’s own patterns of health from pregnancy and birth onwards are also considered to understand any susceptibilities or patterns of dis-ease. These include physical, mental and emotional symptoms.
6. A talking therapy or not, homeopathy can be useful either way. Where the child wants to talk and offload some things in a safe supportive space, they are given this opportunity. Sometimes the child/ young person may not want to talk about their feelings and experiences and this is OK and all part of how they cope – this in itself is part of their pattern and will help point towards a remedy. The child/ young person does not have to answer questions they don’t want to. Information from parents and carers may also be helpful to understand the child’s/ young person’s health patterns and reactions.
7. Complementary. Natural homeopathic remedies can be taken alongside any prescribed medications and other support services.
8. Safe. There are no toxic side effects using homeopathic remedies. The remedies stimulate the body to heal itself, and the aim is to gently undo any patterns of dis-ease.
9. Empowering. The process of consulting with a homeopath aims to be empowering. The homeopath does not make any decisions about what ‘is the solution’. They objectively look at the whole symptom picture, observing and following the lead of the child/ young person – matching their resonance to that of a remedy. A sense of well-being comes from within. Homeopathic remedies work from within, stimulating your body to heal itself.
10. Self-development. Sometimes during a consultation, clients including older children and young people, can discover things about themselves by having the space and support to think about their life and their health. They can make remarkable connections for themselves that enhance their personal self-development. It is the journey of the individual which is valued throughout.
What is PSYCH – K®?
The term PSYCH-K® was developed from the ‘key to unlocking your psyche’. It is a wonderful tool, especially useful where there are subconscious beliefs that are holding you back. It doesn’t have to involve much talking and can therefore also be effective for young people who are not comfortable with talking about themselves. It uses muscle testing to identify areas where your sub-conscious is not in alignment with your conscious mind. It then uses a series of simple and effective body postures to connect your right and left brain and effectively re-programme your mind to dissolve unhelpful and restrictive belief systems you have developed.
When you re-write the software of your mind – you change the printout of your life… and the world!
The originator of PSYCH-K® is Rob Williams who trained in philosophy, counselling and psychotherapy. He sought to integrate a spiritual element into counselling and studied contemporary and ancient modalities for spiritual growth – combining all that he learnt into what he called PYSCH-K®. Rob has also collaborated with Bruce Lipton, a PHD cell biologist who has written ‘The Biology of Belief’ and ‘The Evolution of Consciousness’. Bruce comments; “the secret of life is BELIEF. Rather than genes it is our beliefs that control our lives. PSYCH-K is a set of simple, self-empowering processes to change your beliefs and perceptions that impact your life at a cellular level”.
If you have any questions about homeopathy or PSYCH-K® or both (they can be used to complement each other), please get in touch. I am also happy to arrange a free 20 minute discussion to answer any questions and give more information.